I weep for my country. We are becoming pathetic fools and total wimps.
Consider these jaw-dropping examples of behavior by adults who work in government schools. I think they must be competing for the Stupid Official of the Year Award.
The contestants include:
- The bureaucrats who suspended a 7-year boy for pretending to throw a non-existent grenade on the playground.
- The bureaucrats who suspended a 6-year old boy in Maryland for making a gun shape with his finger.
- The bureaucrats who busted a 5-year old girl in Pennsylvania for having a pink plastic gun that shoots bubbles.
- The teacher in Rhode Island who caught an 8-year old boy with some plastic toy army men.
- The bureaucrats who evacuated a school because an 11-year old boy made a motion detector for his science experiment.
- The bureaucrats in Florida who kicked an 8-year old boy out of school for a year because he had a plastic gun in his backpack.
- A dual award in Virginia, with half the prize for the bureaucrats who suspended a 10-year old boy for a toy gun and half the prize for the cops who then arrested the kid.
Here’s another example that belies belief. It starts innocently enough, as reported by a Baltimore news outlet.
Children at Park Elementary School went home with a letter today explaining there was a disruption in school.
A “disruption”? What, pray tell, happened. A fire? A theft? A gang fight?
Well, brace yourself lest you faint in fright at what you’re about to read.
At Park Elementary school, Josh was enjoying his breakfast pastry when he decided to try and shape it into a mountain. Josh said, “It was already a rectangle and I just kept on biting it and biting it and tore off the top and it kinda looked like a gun but it wasn’t.” Josh takes full responsibly for trying to shape his breakfast pastry, but admits it was in innocent fun. He told FOX45, “All I was trying to do was turn it into a mountain but, it didn’t look like a mountain really and it turned out to be a gun kinda.” When his teacher saw the strawberry tart he knew he was in trouble, he recalls, “She was pretty mad…and I think I was in big trouble.”
Oh, Heavens. Get the smelling salts!
What was the punishment for this thug?
Josh’s dad received a phone call from the school saying that Josh has been suspended for two days because he took his breakfast pastry and fashioned it into a gun. Josh’s dad was astounded to learn the school chose such a harsh punishment, even after no one was hurt.
Late Friday afternoon a letter went home with students explaining the incident saying, “A student used food to make an inappropriate gesture.” But Josh’s dad is not happy saying, “I would almost call it insanity. I mean with all the potential issues that could be dealt with at school, real threats, bullies, whatever the real issue is, it’s a pastry.., Ya know?”
The dad had the right reaction.
And the real moral of the story is that we need to break up the government-run education monopoly and allow school choice.
P.S. Mindless political correctness is not limited to the United States. There are also unbelievable examples from the United Kingdom.