You probably didn’t realize that May 9th was Europe Day. Yes indeed, this is the day that you celebrate European unity, at least according to the bureaucrats of the European Union, who get to celebrate every day since they unify themselves with the tax dollars of European taxpayers.
So what’s the best way of celebrating this historic day? Here are my five options, but feel free to suggest additional choices.
1. Go on strike – This is the probably the leading form of celebration in France and Italy.
2. Spend too much money – This is a favorite activity all over the continent, though the Nordic nations are first among equals.
3. Appease evil – The Germans are doing a good job in this category, criticizing the United States for killing bin Laden.
4. Tax the rich – The supposedly conservative Tories in the United Kingdom have increased the capital gains tax rate and left in place Gordon Brown’s 50 percent tax rate on the evil rich, thus putting them to the left of Obama.
5. Bail out the profligate – Greece and Portugal are leading the pack in getting reward for bad fiscal policy, but it’s just a matter of time before Belgium and Spain get added to the list.